Safely Repair Computers
When trying to fix your laptop, being as careful as possible is essential. Not only to prevent breaking your computer, but for your own. It can be dangerous to work on computers due to the amount of electricity that runs through them. You need to make sure that you keep these computer repair safety tips in mind when it comes to repairing your own computer.
Computer Repair Safety
- Always unplug the computer! – Many people start working and do not think about the electricity running through the computer when it is still plugged into the wall. Even just a little can get through, even if the computer is off.
- Use a strap or mat to remove any static electric shock. Even if this doesn’t really hurt you, it can fry the components within the computer such as memory, hard drives and motherboard. So by finding those special items to ground yourself, you’re able to stay safe while working on the inside. Also, do not work on the carpet, this creates more static.
- Do not work on a computer while wearing jewelry. This metal can make electricity come to your body and it can harm both you and the computer. Make sure you have nothing on your hands during this time.
- It is best to never work in the area of the power supply. Do not move it, try to replace it or touch it for any reason. If you need to work in that area, you might want to speak with a professional computer repair office where they can let you know safety tips or even have you bring it in.
- Reduce the damages that happen inside the computer by being careful. You should know what you are doing, where everything is and how to go about the entire process before starting. You want to be prepared, instead of sorry. Also, if the parts are burnt – they cannot be replaced and if you try, you might be risking the other parts in the laptop as well.
- While cleaning your computer, make sure that you do not spray liquids directly onto them, including the keyboard and smaller areas. This can damage the parts of the computer. You also want to ensure that compressed air is never held upside down, always vertical. Use short bursts of air to clean out the inside of the computer so that nothing inside is damaged by the high winds that the can makes.
- Do not attempt to clean the inside of a computer monitor or screen. There is constantly electricity flowing throughout the screen and you want to protect yourself at all costs in case something was to happen. The inside of these screens are best left to a professional that knows how to clean them.
- Do you smell smoke while you’re inside the computer? Stop what you’re doing. You do not want to risk any further damage. Try to see if you can find where the parts are burning. You do not want to mess with these parts since it can be dangerous. Always, always, always stop what you’re doing if you smell or see smoke, however. Call a professional.
If you find that it is difficult to repair the computer, consider speaking with a professional. IQ Computer Services is able to fix the computer problem and knows all the safety precautions that should be taken. This can provide you with a way to rest easy and know that your computer will be back working shortly, without putting yourself in danger or damaging your computer.